Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Thoughts on Psalm 16

As I sit by an open window with coffee, letting the brisk October morning ruffle the pages of my Bible, I have never felt closer to being made of light.

I slept in today. The sleep that comes to a hard-working man is good and satisfying, and I have tasted of its goodness.

I open the book of Psalms and begin to read. First I am in Psalm 14 (because it is October 14th and I might as well because where else should I begin?) but after skimming through a few, Psalm 16 catches my eye.

"Oh my soul, you have said to the Lord,
You are my Lord,
My goodness is nothing apart from You." (v. 2)

"O Lord, You are the portion of my inheritance and my cup;
You maintain my lot.
The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places;
Yes, I have a good inheritance."

This concept of God as my (in all rights, "our," but for simplicity's sake, I shall simply say "my") portion and inheritance is repeated over and over again through Scripture.

"Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed
Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul
'Therefore I hope in him!'
-Lamentations 3:22-24

"You are my portion, O Lord;
I have said that I would keep your words."
-Psalm 119:57

"Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon the earth that I desire besides You.
My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
Psalm 73:25-26

Other references: Psalm 16:5, 142:5

The question remains: what does this mean? The Hebrew word for portion is Cheleq, and is most often used to discuss one's ownership of land, possessions, or other belongings. The root word is Chalaq, an old Hebrew word meaning, essentially, "plunder" that warriors would receive after conquering a city, or goods that were apportioned to you.

What these verses seem to be saying, is that God is our plunder--God is the treasure we are apportioned. The incredible difference that comes when talking about God as our portion is that we fought in no battles, nor won any victories to deserve Him. Has the Psalmist chosen God? Perhaps. But he clearly understands that his portion, while taking form in the maker of the Universe, is not here on this earth. In other Psalms, David and other psalmists cry out against the wicked, who receive their portion here on this earth.

But our portion is in heaven. "Whom have I in heaven but You?" It is a forgoing of earthly desires for pleasures today, in order that we may eagerly await the coming of the One who is our inheritance.

And it is a good inheritance. The Lord promises us more than we deserve. We are told Psalm 23, that because "the Lord is our shepherd," we shall not want.

We shall not want. What does that even mean? Not want for money, or food, or clothes, or love, or hope, or joy, or peace? Not want, even for the things that we don't think we want. But sometimes He has to "make us" lie down in green pastures and "leads us" beside still waters, because we wouldn't choose it if He only let us run wild.

Interesting thoughts. A beautiful Psalm, and a great reminder that our portion is not on this earth, but is very much worth waiting for.

"Let the field be joyful, and all that is in  it.
Then all the trees of the woods will rejoice before the Lord.
For He is coming, for He is coming to judge the earth."
-Psalm 96:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment